Huddled between land and sea in Pays de la Loire, Guérande is a town of art and history. If the fortified town is known for its salt marshes, it is equally known for its medieval citadel, which is an incredible historic site in the Loire-Atlantique region. Built in the era of the Dukes of Brittany, the entirety of the ramparts in the medieval citadel of Guérande have been preserved, making it an unmissable holiday destination during your stay. Learn more about the history and places to visit in this incredible citadel.
History of the Medieval citadel
Formerly the favourite city of the Dukes of Brittany, Guérande has been inhabited since the Neolithic era, evidenced by the various megaliths and visible traces of the Gallic and Gallo-Roman periods. The town was used as a temporary see (town where the bishop lives) in 848 before a Chanoine church was built during the reign of Nominoë. It wasn’t until after 1000 CE that the first ramparts and administrative buildings were built.